Thursday, February 12, 2009

Sickies

I really hate deciding whether or not to go to the doctor. I'm not the kind of person who likes to waste the time or money if the condition doesn't warrant treatment with a prescription. I also feel like I'm bothering my doc if I'm calling for something that might end up being just a cold. As a result, I sometimes wait too long to get my kids in to the doc.

In January, my daughters both had well child checkups and it turned out that my baby had an ear infection. Due to her reaction to the last ear infection, we were reluctant to put her on antibiotics. So, the doc put her on a mild, 3 day antibiotic. It so didn't work, so she had to go on a 10 day antibiotic. This time I put her on probiotics as well to help counteract the stomach upset.

About a week after she started her antibiotics, her brother woke up at night and had a hard time breathing and was coughing a croupy cough. My oldest daughter started that same cough the following morning. I was figuring that it was strep, so I got them into the docs that afternoon. It was pneumonia. So, the doc started my olders on antibiotics to treat that.

About 4 days later, my baby - who was still on antibiotics - started a fever and a really junky cough. That was last Thursday. I am really hoping that its not pneumonia, since she was already on antibiotics. The issue now is that my nephew now has pneumonia and my baby has been coughing and pulling on her ears alot. I'm just not sure if it is just a cold or an ear infection or pneumonia. I thought she was doing better, but she just keeps yanking on those ears. Maybe she's just really congested...

I guess I'll just call the doc next week if she's still not feeling well...

No comments: