Friday, December 5, 2008

Tales of an Oppressed 6 Year Old Boy

Who knew that 6 would be such a rough age? My son is, generally, a pretty good kid. Sure, he had the terrible twos and threes, but even that only lasted from when he was 18 months until he was 30 months. So really, he didn't even make it to the terrible threes. It only took him about a month after my oldest daughter was born (he was 28 months) to get used to her and the same to get used to the baby (he was 5 1/2). Shortly thereafter, he was daytime potty trained. He was a good 3 year old, very eloquent and smart. He was a good 4 and 5 year old, very polite and creative. But 6, oh 6, is very rough.

We already had the "Its not fair" thing. Now its just a bunch of whining, demanding and bragging. All things that I DON'T put up with. Everything has to be his way. He questions everything that is asked of him. He constantly tells his sister how much better he is than her at Super Mario Brothers, Tag, Ring Around the Rosie, coloring, writing, building with Legos, etc. He threw a fit today because my wonderful husband turned off the Super Nintendo for him while he was getting his gear on to go to school. He then attempted to turn the system back on so HE could turn it off like he wanted. Everything has got to be his way or he's throwing a fit.

Needless to say, he's been spending a lot of time in his room lately with only his thoughts and a book to read - his toys are downstairs. My wonderful husband and I are "Love and Logic" parents and we do not care to listen to his attitude. So there's a lot of "Uh-ohs" going on in my house. Hopefully, soon, he'll remember that if he wants to be in the rest of the house with us, and his playthings, he's going to have to treat us all with respect.

I'm not even looking forward to what's going to happen when he gets home from school today. My mother-in-law is picking him up, as my husband is driving our only functioning vehicle. When she gets here, she will be taking my oldest daughter to her house for an overnight. My daughter asked and grandma said yes. I am quite certain that he will promptly throw a fit as they are getting ready to walk out the door. Personally, I am thankful that they are getting some time apart from each other. They each need a bit of space to just be themselves. And, hey, if he wants to go, he should just ask!

We have some pretty fun things planned for this month and over Christmas break. I really hope his attitude doesn't force us to leave him behind or change our plans. Or return his Christmas gifts.

No comments: