Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why Is it Wrong to Teach Kids Responsibility?

My favorite, and the only, mom blog that I read is written by Dawn Meehan - Because I Said So. She posted a few days ago about the responses she received from her readers about her having her older children help pick up the younger children's toys. Apparently, some of the readers were appalled that she would have her kids help her other kids out. I completely, utterly and thoroughly do not understand that opinion.

Since when is it OK to keep kids from helping out around the house?
Since when is it OK to not teach kids responsibility?

In my opinion, Ms. Meehan was completely right to ask her olders to help the youngers out. American society, as a whole has really lost most important aspect of family which is that families are supposed to function as a team. No, families don't get along ALL of the time, but we are all supposed to pitch in and help each other out.

This society is so wierdly kid-centered - parents work and ignore their kids and then give them everything and anything they want to relieve the guilt due to their negligence of their kids. WHY? Kids these days are just overly self-involved and self-centered and its really contributing to the downfall of society. Just look at all the people on government assistance that are still sticking their hands out for more money. Honestly, those people on assistance have more money at the end of the month than we do and we don't qualify.

Kids need limits, boundaries and responsibilities!!!

When I was 5, I was standing on a chair, washing dishes every night after dinner.
When I was 12, I made at least one dinner a week.
I was responsible for doing my own laundry.
I bought my own gas and car insurance - and car.
I was responsible for sweeping, mopping and cleaning the bathroom regularly.

My olders, who are 6 and 4, are responsible for helping around the house. They have to clean their room about once a week. They clean the baby's room and toys up once in a while. They have to set the table. My son helps shovel snow and he cleans the litter box. They help clean walls, windows and scrub floors. And they make their beds every day.

In working within our family as a team - Mom and Dad are the coaches, as well as players - I hope to instill in my children a sense of responsibility, ownership and family values.

No comments: