Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Old School???

I find myself gravitating toward "old school" stuff and methods. Just a few weeks ago, I was called old-fashioned (I'm only in my late 20s!) because my kids were playing with View Finders and I use cloth diapers. I think that this regression, if you will, has been amplified by my want and need to help conserve our environment.

I firmly believe that kids enjoy toys that don't make noise more than the toys that do. In fact, I see my kids playing with matchbox cars, wooden trains, puzzles, dolls and stuffed animals much more often and for longer periods of time than any of their flashing/beeping/singing/jumping/shaking toys. I think that my kids imaginations are stimulated much more when they are making up the stories as they go. I am even a big fan of Leap Frog toys, but even those guide and limit the imaginations!

I also am making more foods and snacks from scratch. Not only is it a big money saver, its more nutritious and natural. Our bodies weren't made to process preservatives!

Of course, I use cloth diapers and wipes. I bought several dozen cloth napkins from garage sales and I made my own dryer sheets! I even cut my paper towel consumption immensely. I use rags for everything!

I do, obviously enjoy technology. I have my snazzy new phone and high speed Internet and Netflix. But I also don't have caller ID or call waiting on my land line, and, I don't have cable. That's right, I get to choose from 4 channels. You know what, it does cut down my couch potato time, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm definitely trying to live life outside of the box, whether it be the cable box, the caller ID box or the Hamburger Helper box.

No comments: