Thursday, February 26, 2009

Boring Books

I recently read The Pagan Stone, by Nora Roberts and Fearless Fourteen, by Janet Evanovich. I was really not impressed by either one of them and felt cheated by the boring endings.

I've read Nora Roberts for years, I get her writing. It is a lot of the same thing over and over again - especially in her trilogies. Three girls and three guys and they're just perfect for each other. They have some sort of 'paranormal' issue to work through, where each one is a key to solving the puzzle. Each guy and girl couple ends up married and pregnant. Usually, the first book in the trilogy is the best, the second is the worst and the third is decent. Even though I know the basic storyline, I still enjoy her books occasionally. I just felt that the Pagan Stone, which is the third in the 'Sign of Seven' trilogy, rambled and circled and rambled. It just felt like she was desperately trying to fill pages and it really just got boring. Also, the climax of the book was confusing and, well, anticlimactic.

I've also read Janet Evanovich for years. I love her sense of humor and how Stephanie Plum is almost 'normal'. (No one could really eat that much cake and still be thin!) I enjoyed Lean Mean Thirteen more than many of the other installments in the series. Fourteen was really kind of a bummer. She too circled and seemed like she was trying to fill up pages. Plus, Stephanie didn't end up in a life-threatening pickle, like she usually does. Hopefully, Fifteen will be an improvement over this one...

No comments: