Friday, December 26, 2008

Design 1 Salon - Third Time's the Charm?

Walmart service and average quality haircuts at Manhattan prices?

The week before Christmas, I decided to get my hair chopped off. I was tired of looking the same way for the past 5 or so years. I wanted to look different and also not be able to put my hair in a ponytail all the time. I went in and came out looking pretty good - I could even make it look good on my own! (That's the true test of getting your hair cut - if you can make the cut look good at home, on your own.) I just thought that some of the layers on my left side were a bit long. So, I decided to go back a couple days later to get the left side tweaked, just a little bit. Unfortunately, my stylist had that day off and I ended up with a different lady.

She totally messed me up.

I got home and tried to do it the next day, and i looked like I had a bowl cut. I was furious. So I called to let the salon know what was going on. The receptionist told me that the manager would call me withing the next couple of days - by Tuesday (the 23rd) at the latest.

He never called.

Being that I've had 12 years of customer service work, things like this REALLY tick me off. The man had 2 1/2 days to call me!

I called that evening and left a message and also sent an email message to them, demanding a phone call on the day after Christmas.

He calls me, gives me a half-hearted apology and tells me that my next appointment is on the house. Essentially saying that he was perfectly content to let me deal with a bad haircut for a month. I hung up, frustrated. It was one of those situations that just kind of festers and I was getting more and more pissed off by the second.

I called back and told Mr. Manager that I thought it was unacceptable that he was content to let me sit with a bad haircut for a month and that he could mail me a refund for the haircut.

That changed his tune. All of the sudden, he was singing a different tune, telling me that he could get me in as soon as I could get in.

I went in last week and got re-tweaked. My hair looks OK, I can get it to do a little bit, but its still more challenging than I think it should be. Plus, one section is still a little long. But hey, I got a free eyebrow wax out of it.

I just don't understand why it is so difficult to get a decent haircut. I am upfront with the stylist and tell them that I don't want anything high-maintenance. I am only willing to spend 10 minutes on my hair on any given day. I have too much else to do, than to waste time primping in the bathroom. Why is every stylist afraid to CUT MY HAIR! Don't they get trained on face shapes and trends and judging what cuts are more difficult to style?

Just cut it! It will grow back!

Maybe its time to grow it out again - at least I can throw it up into a pony tail.

No comments: