Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Mary Kay Ladies that Just Don't Get the Hint. (AKA: My I-Story, Part 3)

So, I had decided that I was just going to do MK on a personal use basis. I found that I still didn't 'need' enough to place that $200 order every 4-6 months. So, I just filled in the order with extra stuff, that I would eventually 'need'. Which meant I 'needed' less and less with each subsequent order and more and more stuff was going into the bathroom cupboard.

In March, a former customer of mine contacted me, saying that she wanted to return her products for a refund. I looked at my records, the products that she wanted to return were from over 2 years ago! She wanted me to refund her $400. I can think of NO retailer that refunds cash on used consumable products more than 30-90 days after purchase. Plus, on the MK receipts, it says that the customer has 3 days to cancel the order. I would have even given her a full refund 30 days after and I would have exchanged her products for something else within 90 days after her order. I told her that there was nothing that I could do for her (based on my interpretation of the MK receipt) and that she should call MKC if she wanted to pursue it further.

I had my baby in April. I got home from the hospital and found a letter from Mary Kay Corporate in my mailbox. Saying that they paid Ms. Customer $400 on my behalf, and now I owed them $400. ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME!?!?!? I called them and told them they were crazy, and that NOBODY has refund policies that lax. They told me that the customer comes first, no matter what, and if I wanted they could cut the price in half so that I only would 'owe' them the wholesale value of the products. How generous.

Fast forward a few weeks. I actually had enough people wanting enough stuff to justify an order. I went online and attempted to place that order only to find that I am not allowed to order until my debt is paid off. EXCUSE ME? I can actually sell some products and make some money and you aren't letting me? How dumb is that? I emailed my sales director and gave her a summary of the situation. She offered to let me place an order in her name, which totally violates company policy and pissed me off even further. NO THANK YOU! So I went onto Pink Truth and bought the products from people on there.

Fast forward another few weeks and a consultant from my former unit emails me, looking to buy some products from me. At this point, I haven't ordered in so long, that I don't even count as a unit member anymore. Fine by me. I emailed her back and gave her a summary of my situation and recommend that she checks out Pink Truth. She emails me back, basically telling me that we all pay consequences for our decisions (duh!) and she wished me well.

Fast forward another few months to last week. My former sales director has been sending me newsletters which praise people for ordering, not sales, and for manipulating the truth to recruit new 'blood'. Why? I don't know, none of that could entice me back to MK. Then, last week, she sends me this little package with a little note card and some samples in it. The note card says something to the effect of, "Can you believe that its been more than 6 months since you ordered?", and "Place your order now so that you can get the Fall/Holiday products!" Yeah, because people always want the holiday products. Of all the holiday products I'd ever stocked, only 1 ever sold.

I wrote, "RETURN TO SENDER" on the envelope and sent it back to her. Do you think she'll get the hint? This week will be the true indicator of whether or not she did. The end of the month is always a heavy email week.

Too bad she won't be able to enjoy the holiday and the weekend, worrying about unit production.

I'm thankful that I will.

No comments: