Sunday, November 30, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I just watched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, via Netflix. I must say that I was rather disappointed. I know that Harrison Ford is 66 years old and he's a good looking old man. It totally wrecked my image of Indiana Jones to see him old like that! He has too many wrinkles and he was moving a lot slower and more painstakingly than the Indiana Jones that I know.

Beside my image of Indiana Jones being smashed, the whole movie was cliche'. The lines were bad and the jokes were worse. Nothing was a surprise. I knew as soon as Shia LeBeouf's character said his name was 'Mutt', that he was Indiana's son. First of all, because he chose his name and second of all, Indiana Jones chose the name 'Indiana' after the family dog and now his kid chooses a name that indicates a dog. The overall storyline was somewhat intriguing - the thought that aliens spawned and intelligent super-civilization 500 years ago is a great concept. I just don't think that they delivered.

The first 3 Indiana Jones movies centered on more widely acknowledged ideas and beliefs: Raiders of the Lost Ark was about finding the Ark of the Covenant; Temple of Doom was about the Sankara stone and a cannibalistic tribe; Last Crusades was about the Holy Grail and the Nazis. This movie was about a crystal skull and "inter-dimensional beings" (as George Lucas calls them). So, while that's an interesting concept, it really doesn't fit in with today's, or the 1950's, pop-culture.

I probably won't be adding this movie to my collection.

No comments: